Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Now I'm Committed

So this morning around 11am, I sent the following message to my dear friends and family:

I've signed up for a charity event that involves kayaking across LI sound in July. Yes, me, the girl who hasn't had a sweaty workout in, well let's just say years. Hopefully that's all about to change. And I've always wanted "madonna arms" .........

I have about four months to learn how to get into a kayak, how to paddle, how to hold my breath under water, and row like a maniac to get across the approximately 6 mile* course. Right now I've only got my own registration fee at stake. I am reaching out to you to inspire me - sponsor me, blow my goal of raising $500 out of the water - and I'll be sure to make you all proud.

Kayak for a Cause supports many worthy charities, including Make a Wish (close to my dad's heart) and many others on both the national level (AHA, National Breast Cancer Coalition) and local (Shehan Center, Save the Sound).

If you do, I'll be sure to apprise you all of my progress, and maybe even some humorous photos. Trust me, it will be well worth whatever sponsorship you choose. No minimum donations. Anonymous donations also accepted. Just get me in the water.

If you want to help - go to the following site:

http://www.kayakforacause.com/

Select "Enter KFAC VI site"

Then on the left side menu, select "Sponsor Participant"

Enter "SCULLY" in the last name field

and check back frequently to see your collective contributions grow

and THANK YOU !


And before I knew it, I was at half of my meager $500 fundraising goal. Big thanks to Linda and Bobby Shea, first responders. And of course Jennifer, my inspiration from last year, on whom I bailed - that will *not* happen this year.

So now the blog - I intend to track my training progress, with all it's fits and starts, and let you all know my personal goals as of today - looking out towards that July 29th event date.

  • Raise money for the KFAC charities, many of which we have all supported sporadically over the years
  • Madonna arms - never overrated
  • General tone and strength in my lungs and legs - abs would be a great by product of all this too
  • Stop smoking - yes once and for all, now that I'm past mid-thirties, its no longer optional
So it begins. Now to devise the training schedule, take some measurements (and yes I will share and chart progress on those too), and photos photos photos of said progress. Especially that first day I tumble into a kayak, and of course some of me disembarking on the beaches of Long Island Sound.

Stay tuned !

* I just learned that, um, the course is 13.5 miles, not six. There are rescue boats. Whew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home