Monday, July 17, 2006

Safety Clinic - and I passed !!

Had the mandatory KFAC safety clinic on July 8th. Of course with my PC down, I missed a lot of the info prior, but thankfully I got there on time and no one was the wiser. And who do I see upon arrival but sweet Sophia from The Kickoff That Kicked Ass! This girl is everywhere, I swear.

Then all the other Kickoff buds started showing up, and I even got to make some new friends (I *know* - imagine that!!) - including the "Pod That Should Be Named the United Nations" - AKA Pod 9 (a motley crew of multi-nationals, the accents of which were beyond my recognition) who are in second place in fundraising. Way to go guys! Too bad they'll miss the after party since they'll still be paddling to Long Island .... hee hee ....

Since this thing started at 9am in Norwalk, and I worked the night before, it was all I could do to get myself there in one piece on time, of course the camera didn't make the journey. But the best parts of the day couldn't be captured on film anyway. Such as :

- me and pod mate Gil vying for last one to wet exit "no really you can go first"

- the awesome hysterically funny ENT (sorry I forgot your name husband-of-Elizabeth) who talked to us about all the gear we need to successfully make the journey
...what I will bring - sunscreen, CLIF bars - and Katy and I have been sampling all the flavors these last few weeks - and Crunchy Peanut Butter is my #1, at least three liters of water, and paddle gloves

- the hecklers from Pod UN as I self-dunked "BLOGGER! BLOGGER!" - ok guys dont make me laugh when I go under

- that damn Audrey Yu (she's a freakin pro paddler) ending up in my group and making me feel like a *true* rookie

- trying to remember all the directions the map reader guy (Tim?) told us - I am so counting on those of you who actually know what you are doing to lead the rest of us

- fun Matt from ML, pod-mate, keeping me sane during the "this is how you read a compass" drill - dude, I am hitching onto your kayak when you aren't looking

- and more from Pod 8 - the cartoon they drew after the "this is the water route you want to follow" segment was a rip - weren't you sending me a copy of that to post here ?

Next post - this past Saturday's paddle up and down the Saugatuck .... lots of pics !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home