Saturday, April 08, 2006

the kickoff that kicked ass (aka longest post ever)

Last night was the "official" kickoff party at Shorehaven. Met so many great people, will try to capture it all here. If I got your name wrong, just let me know and I'll correct it.

Walked in with Jen, my inspiration who finished last year after I bailed. No assigned seat, so we saw two other women at a table, went to introduce ourselves, and lo and behold - it's Audrey Yu! Who apparently is now back at #1 due to a technicality. Best part of that is that it benefits all the charities that we also met last night. More on that later - but for now, here's a shot of me and Audrey with (from left) Michael Wolfe from generous sponsor [GQ], Audrey, Miles (co-founder and Master Motivator), Ryan Moran (Charity Committee and old buddy), me, and Chris Fuentes from generous sponsor [Nautica].



And thanks, GQ and Nautica for the gift bags! And did I hear something about the top fundraising teams and individuals being featured in a future GQ spread? hmm....

I wish you all could have heard what I heard from each of the charities we are paddling to support - talk about motivational. First up were my table mates, the team from [Save the Sound], Myron Alderman and Don Strait, shown below with Jenny from the Block.



Apparently there is a proposed liquefied natural gas storage facility proposed for the middle of the sound - 10-stories tall, four football fields long, and 180-ft. wide. Now I will admit to not subscribing to any local papers, but how did I miss that ? Funds raised from KFAC will go towards fighting this, and I'll be thinking of how lovely this monstrosity will look as I paddle across in July.

Next up was Ginger from [Courage to Speak]. Ginger spoke of losing her son Ian to drugs, and her commitment to getting families to openly discuss drug abuse and prevention. As I train for the event, I'll be thinking of all the good work this organization will do with your support. Thank you, Ginger, for inspiring us all. Here's Ginger and her team - and some of them are paddling too!



We heard from Terry O'Connor of the [Cardinal Shehan Center], a Bridgeport-based organization that reaches out to moderate and low income youth via educational, recreational, cultural, and social programs. We met Rock Star Ashley, Shehan Center scholarship recipient and current Kolbe Cathedral freshman, one of the many fortunate Shehan Center beneficiaries. Here's the team (sorry I didn't get all the names, but Ashley is second from left, Terry second from right):



Linda Rapp from [Hole in the Wall Gang] was next, and told us about the programs they offer to children with cancer and other serious illnesses and conditions. They give these kids a camping experience of the highest quality, while extending year-round support to their families and health care providers. Here's Linda and some friends:



[Cancer Care], national nonprofit organization that provides free, professional support services for anyone affected by cancer, spoke about their programs and services in Connecticut. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of their group. If anyone has some, please send over.

Last but not least, the [Make a Wish Foundation] talked of the wishes they fulfill for children with life-threatening medical conditions and their families. Their representative (again, no photos but send some over if anyone has some) read a letter from a mom about how much their wish meant to their family. Another great organization that I am so proud to paddle for.

Another fun apect of the evening was meeting other fellow paddlers and volunteers. And you never know who you might run into .... case in point, the illustrious Kate Berg, president of the [Ave B ] social club, and former Gartner associate (back when it was fun). Here's Jen, me and Kate -



Speaking of former Gartner pals, Ryan Moran - chief charity guy - and Paul Parker - repeat paddler - were also in attendance. Great to see you guys again! Rose, where were you? Here's Jenny and Ryan, and Paul and Karen of [Performance Technologies]:





Now here's the best part - meeting new fun interesting people. I mentioned meeting Audrey, and her friend Mary (also a terciary connection to Gartner - who knew?). Mary wasn't down with photos, so you'll have to use your imagination. Sophia, who will volunteer at the event, was Jen's and my new best friend. Sophia and Kate of [Ave B] are running the volunteer effort for KFAC this year (and hopefully in future years) and [Ave B] will have a significant presence both on the water and behind the scenes at the event. She also makes the most beautiful custom designed silk handbags .... I see a few of those in my future. Worst picture ever of me, but Sophia deserves a shout out:



Also met Scott, co-founder and very chill guy. My fundraising and blogging reputation definitely preceeded me here as Scott immediately thanked me for funds raised so far (so thank YOU) and actually sounded like he had read/skimmed the blog. We also learned that there is a KFAC starting up in the SF bay this fall and I was all ready to get fired up until they mentioned sharks. Not quite that hard core. Yet. Here's me and Scott and [oops didnt get your name?].



At one point in the evening, safety maven Shirleen passed around crazy hats - I believe I was wearing a pirate hat for a bit, but alas, no photos of that (oh snap). Mom, Shirleen is the person who will teach me kayak safety - so when I make it across, you can thank her.



I did snap one of my adorable table neighbor wearing hers (is that a flamingo?) - great smile, you are SO working that duck, girl.



Also met fellow Nutty Paddler Don Demaine, member of Team [they wouldnt tell me], none of whom wanted to be blogged except Don. Hmmm. Keep reading, Don - loved hearing that you were a fan. See you out there!



Jen reconnected with fellow veteran paddler Melanie, and we also met the uber cool Liz - who will lose her KFAC virginity with me. I think I see a pod forming .... what do you say, ladies?



Thanks KFAC for a great evening, I am so fired up, and even though I didn't run today I'll be back out there tomorrow with all this good stuff pushing me to go even further.

2 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Eileen, congrats on being back up top the "top fundraisers" list! It was great meeting you at the kick-off dinner.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Scully said...

Planning to stay there, Adam - great meeting you too and why oh why did I not get photos of you guys ? next time ....

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home